Fat Beehive is seeking a flexible and versatile WordPress/Drupal/PHP Developer to join our Support Desk: a natural problem solver who wants to make a difference every time they step into the office, not just on Red Nose Day. This is open to junior or mid-level applicants and must have professional experience.
You should be an all-round coder with an understanding of object-oriented php development. You’ll have experience using Drupal 7 and WordPress. Ideally you’ll have some Drupal 8 experience, but alternatively, you’ll have have used PHP frameworks like Symfony and have a good grasp of object-oriented concepts. You’re comfortable using the command line. You’re keen on coding standards but aren’t precious if you have to deal with old code from time to time.
You’re friendly and happy to chat with clients by phone or using our ticketing system, Zendesk, to work out their requirements and develop small new features for their Drupal 7 / 8 and WordPress sites.
Key duties & responsibilities
– WordPress / Drupal development
– Collaborate with designers/frontend developers to solve challenging front-end and back-end issues
– Further develop custom WordPress plugins and Drupal modules for our range of sites.Build smaller new features into existing sites.
– Communicate with clients primarily via Zendesk, occasionally getting on the phone with them to understand their needs or goals of new features.
– Understand and debug clients’ issues.
– Ability to understand and translate a client’s requirements into technical solutions.
– Ability to communicate the technical aspects of website development in plain, jargon-free English.
– Have a good understanding of how Drupal/WordPress works and experience working on the code of custom modules, plugins and themes.
– Be familiar with object-oriented PHP concepts.
– Understand how to write efficient MySQL queries without the support of frameworks or CMSs.
– Have used version control software such as Mercurial or Git.
– Have experience with Linux/Unix command line environment.
– Be passionate about coding quality and meeting standards.
– Further our coding standards, technical strategy and R&D, and contribute back to to the Drupal and WordPress communities.
It would be an advantage to also:
– Have an understanding of Linux / AWS servers.
– Have done custom integrations with third party APIs.
What we offer
£25-35K salary depending on skills and experience.
Other benefits include a training budget, pension scheme, drinks on Fridays, and a weekly chair massage (from a qualified masseuse) to prevent RSI.
95% of our clients are charity and not-for-profit organisations. We actively seek to work with this type of client and this means you’ll get to work with some very nice people indeed.
About Fat Beehive
We are a small team who work in a relaxed, informal office in the heart of Shoreditch. There is often cake. There is often music playing. We don’t have a ping pong table, table football or an office dog (and we have no plans to get one). We tolerate beards, but only because Danny has one. We hire and work with people who are focused on the charity and not-for-profit sector, who love and follow the web’s developments but who stop at the weekend to do something totally different.
We don’t work for oil, mining, arms, banking and sweatshops. But we do work for charities that challenge these and more. Join us.
Forward your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We already work with selected recruiters, so ask that other recruiters don’t contact us.